What is the difference between buildings and contents insurance?

Unless you’ve taken out a policy before, it can be difficult to work out what kind of home insurance you actually need. To help clear things up, here is a guide to buildings and contents insurance, and the differences between them.

Buildings insurance

When you search for buildings insurance quotes, you will be quoted a premium that covers the cost of protecting the structure of your home. This includes:

  • Roof
  • Walls
  • Windows
  • Fitted kitchen
  • Bathroom suite

Buildings insurance should provide financial protection for all of these things in case of theft, fire, flood, storm, falling trees, subsidence and burst pipes. However, all policies are different, so you should check what is included when searching for home insurance quotes.

When you take out buildings insurance, you may also be offered the chance to add extras to your policy. Additional extra cover costs more, but it does cover things like boiler breakdown, plumbing work and damage to your central heating system.

Contents insurance

Unlike buildings insurance, contents cover protects possessions inside the property itself. You can get a contents insurance quote for everything from computers and electronics to jewellery and other valuables.

When you apply for home contents insurance quotes, you will need to provide an accurate estimate of what everything is worth when it is new. If anything should become damaged by fire, flood or natural disaster, or if it should be stolen, how much will it cost to replace?

Many insurers offer combined buildings and home contents insurance policies, and for homeowners, these are the policies you should go for.